Everybody loves this banana bread. I’ve tweaked the recipe over a few months, and used to bake it weekly for a friend brunch. I never got to take any home with me! I always try to make it a little bit different by changing up the toppings and add-ins. Experiment with what you like!
- 2 cups (10oz) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg, ground
- (Optional 1/4 teaspoon Ginger, ground, try swapping out the spices!)
- 1/2 cup Margarine, softened (I used Earth Balance buttery sticks)
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup White Sugar
- 4 Very Ripe Cavendish Bananas, medium sized, mashed well (can use frozen black bananas!)
- 1/4 cup Non Dairy Milk (I used Almond)
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Optional Fillings (select one)
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional, pecans are my favorite, walnuts are more classic)
- 1/2 cup dried shredded coconut (unsweetened is best)
Optional Toppings: (select one)
- 1/8 cup cacao nibs (pictured)
- Not-so-very-ripe banana, sliced on the bias
- Combine together the non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar; set aside.
- Preaheat the oven at 350F/180C. Line an 8×4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly grease it with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine together the flour, baking soda, salt and spice(s).
- In another bowl, cream together the margarine and sugars. Then add the bananas, vanilla and milk-vinegar mixture.
- Fold the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Fold in the nuts (if using) and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter in the prepared loaf pan and smooth top.
- Gently add toppings.
- Bake for about 60-70 minutes (seriously) or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a cooling rack for about an hour. Then transfer the bread from the pan to the rack and let it cool completely before slicing (preferably overnight). That way you get nice clean slices and no crumbly mess!
- Warm and serve with a pat of salted margarine if you’re feeling fancy!
adapted from https://www.egglesscooking.com/vegan-banana-bread/