Tofu scramble done right. Make sure to press/dry that tofu out so it can absorb all the good flavors. Start by browning the onions and then mushrooms, add the tofu and spices with some water to turn the spices into more of a marinade, then the rest of the veggies and cook until done. Vegan super tip: turmeric makes tofu turn yellow so it looks like eggs!
For me, it’s the favourite season of the year…awards season! Can you ever forgive me? Come over to my apartment on a Sunday night (or late afternoon for you red carpet fashion fiends) to party with me and revel in the self-congratulating pageantry that is the Academy Awards. Without a host for the first time since the Cold War, the telecast is promised to be under three hours. Never look away or else you might miss the action! It will be incredible, too.
Feel free to come solo, or bring a friend to help you indulge in your favorite vices: aromatic vegan appetizers and stiff cocktails. I’ll have enough for everyone, so no need to shoplift pretzels from the gas station (unless you really want to). I’m trying extra hard to make sure the party is plastic-free and green! Book your RSVP now so I know how much food/drink to prepare.
Wear whatever you want! I bet Lady Gaga will be in something weird (Bohemian-chic?), but I’ll just be in a suit with a black pant. Her antics aside, Gaga seems like she’s just on the border of taking home her first Oscar this year!
100% vegan (of course) spread included:
- mushroom and leek tartlets,
- basmati-mint-lemon dolmas from scratch
- tofu chèvre – one lavender, one herbed
- faux gras
- sea salt + chocolate popcorn
- assorted antipasti
Drinks on the menu:
- French 75
- Cody Martini
- Moscow Mule
- Kentucky Mule
4 Tablespoons lemon juice
6 Tablespoons tahini
2 Tablespoons EVOO
2 small garlic cloves
1 15oz can chickpeas, drained + rinsed
2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts (if you feel fancy)
1 scallion, sliced thin
- Combine water and lemon juice in small bowl. Whisk tahini and oil together in another bowl.
- With processor running, toss the garlic cloves down the small feed tube. They will mince up nicely! Stop, and add chickpeas, paprika, salt, cayenne. Process until almost fully ground (15 seconds) and scrape down sides of bowl.
- With processor running, add lemon juice/water mixture in a steady stream. Scrape sides of bowl and process for 1 minute.
- With machine running, add tahini mixture in steady stream (too thick for feed tube pusher hole, probably). Process until hummus is smooth and creamy.
- Top with pine nuts and scallions, or whatever you want. Cover and let sit at room temp for 30 minutes, then it will be tasty as fuck!